There are estimated to be close to a million "brit's" either living or working in France at the present time.

If you have any French income whatsoever or you are deemed to be "Tax Resident" (as opposed to being resident which has a different legal meaning) then you need to submit a "per household" French Tax Return each year covering your income and tax deductible expenses for the period 1st January to 31st December by the end of May the following year.

These returns need to be submitted (normally "on line") to the French tax office with payment to be made in installments as advance "payments on account" - If you are still tax resident in the U.K. this also needs to be declared as part of your "Worldwide income" to H.M.R.C.

We can assist you in preparing your U.K. returns as well or provide a schedule for you or your U.K. Accountant to submit.

Even if you are making losses (for example on holiday lettings) you still need to submit your returns .

The French tax declaration system works on a "per household basis" so a couple living together normally only have to complete one return covering the entire household income.

The total household income is "averaged out" to determine the rate if Tax payable (if any)

Fortunately we can assist you in this process and can prepare your accounts, calculations & returns for a small annual charge.

French Tax Returns Limited are a U.K. based practice linked with "The Money Bureau" - a long established accountancy practice offering a range of services .

The principal, Mike Bygrave, has owned a French property for more then 15 years and splits his time between the U.K. and France.

The team working on French Tax returns specialise in the preparation and submission of French tax returns as well as general Taxation and property owning issues.

  • Gite account preparation .
  • Personal Tax returns .
  • SCI and leaseback Tax returns.
  • VAT returns .
  • Micro entrepreneur registration and returns.
  • SARL account preparation & submission .
  • General tax advice.
  • "Distance selling" VAT registration,
  • SIRET registration and cancelation,
  • Capital gains tax calculations.
  • Tax residency advice.
  • Carte sejour assistance.
  • VAT refunds.



The "submission window" for French tax returns is normally between April and June but we can of course prepare your submission as early in the following Tax year as possible - normally as soon as you have received your December bank statements we can start the preparation process.

The French Tax system changed a few years ago meaning that Taxpayers are now being asked to make "payments on account" towards their expected liability during 2024 - it is possible to change these if your income has changed significantly.

Tax payments normally need to be made on line from a French bank account.

Contact Us

Click here for enquiry form

E Mail

Postal Address 1, Claremont Road, Coton Green, Tamworth, Staffordshire, B79 8EN

Skype money-bureau

U.K. Landline +44 (0) 1827 703976

French Landline +33 (0) 299 91 20 15

Facebook Flickr Twitter

Copyright © (2023)